Food For Thought
"Worldlings may well be afraid, for they have an angry God above them, a guilty conscience within them, and a yawning hell beneath them; but we who rest in Jesus are saved from all these through rich mercy. If we give way to foolish fear we shall dishonour our profession, and lead others to doubt the reality of godliness. We ought to be afraid of being afraid, lest we should vex the Holy Spirit by foolish distrust." - Charles Spurgeon
“Oh Lord, purify my soul from all its stains. Warm my heart with the love of thee, animate my sluggish nature and fix my inconstancy, and volatility, that I may not be weary in well doing.”- William Wilberforce
“No sort of defense is needed for preaching outdoors, but it would take a very strong argument to prove that a man who has never preached beyond the walls of his meetinghouse has done his duty. A defense is required for services within buildings rather than for worship outside of them." - William Booth, Founder of The Salvation Army
You may wonder just how you should become a part of God’s family. You can join groups with many different names - church fellowship mission and so on. The name is not important.
Derek Prince suggests the following nine things to look for in a group before deciding to join.
- Do they honour and uplift the Lord Jesus Christ?
- Do they respect the authority of Scripture?
- Do they make room for the moving of the Holy Spirit?
- Do they exhibit a warm and friendly attitude?
- Do they seek to work out their faith in practical day to day living?
- Do they build interpersonal relationships among themselves that go merely beyond attending services?
- Do they provide pastoral care that embraces all your legitimate needs?
- Are they open to fellowship with other Christian groups?
- Do you feel at ease and at home among them?
Derek Prince “Experiencing God’s Power” pp123-124